Court Records

Collection & Disbursement of Restitution

It is the duty of the Department of Court Records, Criminal Division to collect restitution from defendants and issue payments to victims. If restitution is not paid in full, defendants are required to make timely payments.  Inconsistent payments or lack of payments is considered to be a probation violation.

As a victim, do not accept any restitution payments directly from the defendant as all payments MUST be made to the Department of Court Records, Criminal Division, so that all accounts can be properly credited. For further information, please call 412-350-6076 or 412-350-6074.

Victim Information

As a victim of a criminal case in the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas, you may be entitled to restitution. If this is the case, here are some helpful guidelines:

  • When a defendant makes a payment to the Department of Court Records, Criminal Division, a restitution check will be issued within 10 business days after the payment is credited.
  • Unless ordered by the court, payments made on cases with multiple victims will be divided equally.
  • Under current State Law, the current order of distribution on cases is as follows:
    • Crime Victim Compensation Fund (Act 96 of 1984)
    • Victim Witness Services (Act 111 of 1998)
    • Private Crime Victim Restitution
    • Insurance Company Restitution
    • Fines, Costs, & Fees
  • The Department of Court Records does not have the authority to change the original payees or amounts listed on a restitution order.  Any disputes over the amount of a restitution award should be settled before the Restitution Order is signed.  Otherwise, you must petition the courts to amend the original order.
  • Unless ordered by the court or while serving jail time, all defendants are expected to make monthly payments toward their fines, costs and restitution.  Defendants are issued monthly coupons after the outcome of a case is decided. If the defendant is not making payments, call the Adult Probation Office at (412) 350-2320, identify yourself as a victim on a case and provide them with the Docket Number.  You should be provided with the name and telephone number of the probation officer for the defendant. The Department of Court Records does not have this information. It is the probation officer’s responsibility to keep track of the defendant.
  • It is important to notify the Department of Court Records, Criminal Division by mail if you move or if your address changes.  If our office is unable to locate a victim, restitution payments will be withheld and eventually escheated to the Commonwealth.  To change an address, we require a copy of your photo ID along with a signed letter stating the Docket number, the old address and the new/current address.

Defendant Information

Defendants are required to pay fines, costs, and restitution to the Department of Court Records, Criminal Division.  Defendants should call the Collections Department at 412-350-5311 with any questions.

Defendants who fail to stay current with their monthly payments can be brought back to court for a violation of his/her probation.  Failure to make regular payments may also result in a case being sent to a collection company where an additional fee of up to 25% may be added.

Payments can be made to the Department of Court Records, Criminal Division by mail or in person at:

Department of Court Records, Criminal Division
114 Courthouse
436 Grant Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219

The following forms of payment are accepted:

  • Money Orders/Cashier’s Check
  • Cash (please do not send cash in mail)

Payments will NOT be accepted by:

  • Personal Check
  • Debit Card
  • Credit Card 

Credit/Debit Card payments can be made online at the World Wide Web Icon UJS Pennsylvania Web Portal.