Money In Your Pocket - Income Tax Return Filing Assistance for Low-income Wage Earners
Money In Your Pocket (MIYP) Volunteer Recruitment Campaign
The 2013-14 MIYP Volunteer Recruitment Campaign is up and running. Please consider signing up!
- interested in helping people recover every dollar possible to help them pay for things like food and clothing, accumulated debt, and utilities?
- available to schedule at least three hours per week (during the day, evening or weekend, at your convenience) at one of the 11 MIYP locations?
- able to dedicate one of the weekends in January to be trained and certified in the basics of IRS tax preparation?
- passionate about undermining the success of sellers of so-called “rapid refund” loans that gouge the recipient with astronomical fees and interest payments?
Trained volunteers are needed between January 17 and April 17 to assist income-eligible working individuals and families complete their federal, state and local income tax returns.
The Allegheny County Money In Your Pocket Coalition is dedicated to obtaining the highest, possible tax refund for wage-earners whose annual incomes do not exceed $20K for an individual or $40K for a household that includes at least one dependent.
Single parents, parents of adult children with a disability, veterans, dislocated workers, individuals who do not have to file, and independent students are some of the groups that have taken advantage of this service in the past.
We hope to be able to meet the demand for this service by recruiting a dedicated and enthusiastic team of students, retirees, and professionals who can commit to at least three hours per week to assist.
Details about the program and volunteer opportunities (www.pghfreetaxes.org)
MIYP NEW Volunteer application
MIYP Volunteer recruitment flyer 8.5” x 11”
MIYP Volunteer recruitment brochure
- a working individual whose annual income is less than $20K or a member of a household whose total annual income is less than $40K?
- interested in having a trained person help you e-file your federal, state and local income tax returns for FREE?
- determined to keep all of your tax refund instead of using a huge part of it to pay for filing fees and interest on “rapid refund” loans?
The Allegheny County Money In Your Pocket Coalition is working to get the highest possible tax refund for wage-earners whose annual incomes do not exceed $20,000 for an individual or $40,000 for a household that includes at least one dependent.
Single parents, parents of adult children with a disability, veterans, dislocated workers, people who don’t “have to” file, and independent students are some of the groups that have taken advantage of this service in the past.
This year, DHS will offer free tax preparation services
- at the Human Services Building
- Monday through Thursday, 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
between January 22 and April 15
The HSB has free parking behind the building after 4:30 for participants. The lot entrance is on Fort Pitt Boulevard. The HSB is also accessible by several bus routes, with stops at the Smithfield Street and Fort Pitt Boulevard sides of the building. Get Directions to One Smithfield Street
Call 2-1-1 to see if you qualify for this FREE service and to schedule your one-hour appointment at the Human Services Building, One Smithfield Street, Pittsburgh, PA, 15222.
Complete list of MIYP tax preparation locations
More details about the program including eligibility requirements and what to bring
The MIYP Coalition includes Allegheny County Department of Human Services, Allegheny Valley Association of Churches, Just Harvest, YMCA Greater Pittsburgh, YWCA Greater Pittsburgh and United Way of Allegheny County.