Job Announcement Description
||Office of the Public Defender
$2,379.75 per month maximum
|How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. All applications must be returned in person or by mail. You must submit a resume with application. A resume may not be substituted for an application.
GRANT FUNDED POSITION
Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Criminal Justice or a related field OR a paralegal or legal assistance program certification OR 45 credits from an accredited law school AND 2 years experience in at least one of the following areas: law (including trials, appeals, or capital cases and post-conviction), social work, mental health, criminal justice, the juvenile justice system or investigations. Some experience with a personal computer, including word processing skills, is also required. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Performs legal research, as directed
- Prepares accurate and timely materials including general correspondence, reports, memoranda, pleadings and briefs, and training materials
- Assists with law office duties, as assigned by the OPD direct supervisor
- Participates actively in staff meetings and training as required
- Maintains contacts with internal or external parties and agencies to facilitate the work of the assigned OPD division
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Pennsylvania criminal law and procedure
- Generally accepted practices and procedures of legal research
- Law office duties, such as preparing legal documents, preparing and closing case files, meeting all appropriate deadlines, etc.
- Work with a diverse, challenging client population
- Maintain a professional demeanor within the office and when dealing with clients, co-workers and persons outside the office
- Develop working relationships with attorneys, agency personnel, and others
- Operate a personal computer for word processing and related functions
Residency: Must become a resident of Allegheny County within one (1) year of appointment
Veteran's Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER-M/F/V/D