Administrative Services

Frequently Asked Questions

 Blue Arrow  2013 Exempt Status Review FAQs 
 Blue Arrow  Court-Ordered Reassessment FAQ's 



Annual Appeals

Where may I get an annual appeal form?
The annual Assessment Appeal Form is available:

How do I know my Assessment Appeal form was received?
Contact the Office of Property Assessments Public Information Line at 412-350-4600 or you can check your property World Wide Web Icon Real Estate Web site to confirm receipt of your appeal form.

When and where does the Board of Appeals meet?
The Board of Property Assessment Appeals and Review meets every two weeks at 8:00 a.m. in Room 328 of the County Office Building at Forbes and Ross Streets in downtown Pittsburgh.  You can view the PDF Icon 2014 Meeting Schedule of the Board online.

Selection Here are some Tips for your property assessment appeal! 


Appeal Hearings

When will I be assigned a hearing date?
You will be notified by mail approximately 14 days prior to the hearing with date, time and location for all residential properties; approximately 30 days' prior notice is given for all commercial properties.

I will be away on vacation for a few weeks -- what if my notice arrives while I’m away?
If you have not made arrangements through your local post office for your mail to be forwarded, it may be a good idea to call our public information center periodically at 412-350-4600 to check on the status.

What should I do if I am not able to attend my scheduled hearing date?
Complete and submit the Appeal Postponement Request Form on the Property Appeal Forms webpage.  One postponement per party may be requested.  Requests for postponements must be in writing at least seven (7) days before the scheduled hearing date.  Emergency requests must also be made in writing and must be mailed, faxed or hand-delivered, with contemporaneous notice to all parties.  If an appellant fails to attend a scheduled hearing without a timely request for a postponement, the appeal will be classified as withdrawn and the appellant will have no further right to appeal the assessment for the year at issue.

Complete and submit the Appeal Withdrawal Form on the Property Appeal Forms webpage.

What type of evidence, if any, must I bring to my appeal hearing?
The last County-wide reassessment was 2002, also known as the Base Year. At your hearing, you must be able to show what your property was worth in 2002. You can do this by researching similar homes in your neighborhood, finding similar properties to yours that sold in 2002 or before, checking with local Realtors, and/or getting an appraisal with an effective date of January 1, 2002. It is recommended that you provide a copy of the sales comparables for your property from our World Wide Web Icon Real Estate Web site. Also, you can make arrangements with the public information center to obtain a property record card so that you can view the data characteristics we have recorded for your property. If there are discrepancies, notify us before your hearing so that they can be corrected – just call 412-350-4600. There is also a section of the web site that contains Tips for Assessment Appeals that may provide further information.

Do I need to hire an attorney to represent me?
Hiring an attorney to represent you is your choice. Legal representation is not required. However, most school districts and municipalities will have legal counsel present.

If I cannot attend my hearing, may I send someone else?
Yes, you can decide to send another interested party provided they have an authorized representative form from you with your signature.

If the school district or the municipality filed an appeal against my property, should I attend?
You are not required to attend an appeal filed on your property by your school district or municipality. However, you may attend the hearing to present evidence for your case if you so choose.


Special Appeals

Where may I get a Special Appeal Form?
The Special Appeal Form is available:

  • Third floor of the County Office Building at 542 Forbes Avenue in downtown Pittsburgh, PA 15219.
  • By calling the OPA Public Information Line at 412-350-4600.
  • On the Property Appeal Forms web page.

What is the deadline for filing a Special Appeal Form?
The deadline for filing a special appeal is thirty (30) days from the mailing date of the determination letter. A copy of the "Notice of Assessment Change" or " Determination Letter" from the Office of Property Assessments must be attached to the Special Appeal Form or the appeal will not be processed and will be returned.

When will the Special Appeal hearings be held?
Hearings for Special Appeals will be heard within six months of receipt of the Special Appeal Form.

How will I be notified of my hearing date for a Special Appeal hearing?
You will be officially notified in advance by mail with a notice of appeal hearing, which lists the date, time and location. You can also call our office to check your scheduled date at (412) 350-4600.

Selection Here are some Tips for your property assessment appeal! 



Who sets taxation rates?
The county tax millage is set by Allegheny County Council. School tax millages are set by local school boards. Municipal tax millages are set by individual municipalities.


If we have not addressed your question, please call the Office of Property Assessments Public Information Line at 412-350-4600. Service Coordinators are available 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.