Appeals to Superior Court

Appealing a Decision

Appeals from a Common Pleas Court decision are generally filed to the Superior Court. In some exceptional circumstances involving violations of municipal ordinances or determinations of governmental agencies, the appropriate intermediate appellate court to which an appeal should be taken is the Commonwealth Court.

Defendants may file an appeal from a decision of the Court of Common Pleas to the Superior Court within 30 calendar days of the date of judgment. Consult carefully the Rules of Appellate Procedure and the applicable jurisdictional statutes to determine whether an appeal should be taken to Commonwealth Court.

The non-refundable filing fee for an appeal is $80.00, payable in cash, money order or certified check to the Department of Court Records, Criminal Division. A separate check or money order of $90.25 made payable to the Superior Court or Commonwealth Court MUST accompany your appeal.

Personal checks are not accepted.

For more information regarding procedures and forms, please call the Docket Counter Clerk at 412-350-5321.