DHS Home Page
Department of Human Services    Follow DHS on Facebook Follow DHS on Twitter Watch DHS Videos on Vimeo Connect with DHS on LinkedIn

Substance Abuse Management

Services and supports are provided through the DHS Office of Behavioral Health Bureau of Drug and Alcohol Services.

Some programs are specifically designed to treat women; women with children; pregnant women; pregnant women with children; intravenous drug users, LGBTQ+ individuals; individuals with HIV; and adolescents.

Providers serving priority populations offer immediate assessment and admission to treatment in the following order: pregnant injection-drug users; pregnant substance abusers; injection-drug users; and all others. Pregnant women receive preferential treatment services.

Services and Supports 

pdf.gif Where to Call
Directory and descriptions of mental health and drug and alcohol services providers.

24-hour Drug-Alcohol Emergency/Crisis assistance 

1-888-796-8226 (1-888-7 YOU CAN)

Are you or is someone you care about having a behavioral health crisis? 

Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic (WPIC) of UPMC and the Allegheny County Department of Human Services have partnered to bring comprehensive behavioral health crisis services to the residents of Allegheny County.

re:solve Crisis Network provides 24-hour-a-day, 365-days-a-year telephone, mobile crisis, walk-in and crisis overnight residential services that are available to any Allegheny County resident no matter age, ability to pay, or whether they have used behavioral health services in the past.

Round the clock service – even on holidays – includes:

  • Crisis counseling and support over the phone by a trained counselor
  • Information about how to get needed services
  • Access and referral to additional crisis, treatment and other behavioral health supports 

Help is available any day, any time, for any reason.

To access services

  • Call re:solve Crisis Network  at 1-888-7-YOU-CAN (1-888-796-8226) or
  • Walk-in at 333 N. Braddock Avenue, N. Point Breeze, 15208. 
After-hours Access 

After-hours access to drug and alcohol services and Community Care Behavioral Health members 1-800-553-7499
Non-emergency drug and alcohol questions 412-350-3328, TTY/TDD 412-350-3467
Peer Support Advocacy Network (PSAN) Warmline 1-866-661-WARM (9276)
Free, anonymous, alcohol-use screenings 

Case Management
Assistance for understanding services offered to adults, youths and children with addictive disease.

Detoxification Services
Available for those with an addiction to alcohol or a controlled substance.

Drug and Alcohol Services Guide for Court Personnel 
Information about the drug and alcohol services/treatment requirements and options for individuals involved in the justice system.

Involuntary Commitment of Minors for Drug and Alcohol Treatment
Information about committing a person under the age of 21 years to drug and alcohol treatment using Act 53.

Justice Related Services
Support and alternatives to incarceration for people with substance use disorders and/or mental illness who are also involved with the criminal justice system.

Out-patient Treatment
Services in the community that help identify and begin recovery from addictive disease.

Partial Hospitalization
Information to help yourself or a loved one in need of more than outpatient services but less than residential services for disorders related to addictive disease.

Prevention Services
Informational and educational programs on the dangers of substance abuse and services available to abusers are provided in the schools and community.

Recovery and Rehabilitation
Recovery and rehabilitation services for those with addictive diseases. National Recovery Month information.

Residential Services
Live-in programs for children and adults in recovery from addictive disease.

Services for youth and young adults with substance use disorders (addiction to drugs and/or alcohol) 

Student Assistance Program
Help for students with drug and/or alcohol abuse problems intended to help them acheive success in school.