DHS Home Page
Department of Human Services    Follow DHS on Facebook Follow DHS on Twitter Watch DHS Videos on Vimeo Connect with DHS on LinkedIn

Utility Assistance for Low-income Households

 Light Bulb 

Step #1: Contact Your Utility Company to Arrange a Reduced Payment Plan  

  • EAP (Energy Assistance Programs)
  • CAP (Customer Assistance Program)
  • CARES (Customer Assistance Referral and Evaluation Service)

Natural Gas  

Columbia Gas

Peoples Natural Gas
1-800-400-9276 (WARM)

Equitable Gas

Peoples TWP


West Penn Power  

Duquesne Light  


Pennsylvania American Water H2O (Help to Others)  

Learn more 

Step #2: Apply For LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program)

If your household income is not more than one-and-a-half times (150%) the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines.

Apply for Both or Either starting November 3, 2014 


  • 412-562-0330 or 1-866-857-7095
  • Does not require that you have past-due bills

 LIHEAP Crisis

  • 412-770-3677 or 412-770-3678
  • You must be at risk of a heating crisis such as
    • utility service to your home being turned off and locked
    • no fuel
    • broken heating equipment
    • leaking lines
  • Makes a one-time payment to fix the problem

Learn more


Step #3: Apply For a Dollar Energy Fund Grant

  • 1-800-851-3838
  • If you are eligible for LIHEAP, you must apply for it BEFORE applying for this grant
  • Opens October 1, 2014



Dollar Energy Hardship Program  


Dollar Energy Fund 


Additional Resources