Marriage License Application
Office Hours & Contact Information
The Marriage License/Passport Office is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm and Wednesdays 8:30 am to 7:30 pm October through March.
Note: No applications can be processed after 4:00 pm.
Completing a marriage license application in Allegheny County is a two-step process. The license is issued after a mandatory 3 day waiting period.
Note: An application for a marriage license is not a marriage license.
- A marriage license is valid for 60 days from the date it is issued.
- You should apply for a marriage license at least 2 to 3 weeks before the scheduled date of your marriage ceremony.
- A marriage license issued in Allegheny County can be used in any other Pennsylvania county.
Types of Marriage Licenses
There are 2 types of marriage licenses issued in Pennsylvania:
A self-uniting marriage license does not require an officiant to solemnize the marriage.
A traditional marriage license requires an officiant to solemnize the marriage.
The Department of Court Records does not determine who may or may not solemnize a marriage.
The Application Process
First Step – Completing the Application
There are 2 different ways to complete a marriage license application. The marriage license application can be filed online or in person.
- An email address is required to complete the Online Marriage License Application. Once the online application is submitted, a verification email will be sent and the application is placed in the queue to be processed.
- Complete the application in our office.
Second Step - Interview Process
Both applicants must appear in person or via video conferencing in order to complete the process. Photo identification is required. By choosing video conference this allows you to complete your application remotely.
Receiving the License
Once the application is processed and the 3 day waiting period required by Pennsylvania law has passed, the marriage license will be mailed to the address provided by the applicants, or it can be picked up in the Marriage License Section.
Marriage License Fees
The fees for a Marriage License vary from county to county. Allegheny County fees, including Pennsylvania taxes and surcharges, are as follows.
|Allegheny County Fee
|Pennsylvania Writ Tax
|Court Technology Fee
|Act 151 Surcharge
|Act 222 Surcharge
|$ 80.00 (cash or credit card)
|Additional Fee per Divorce Decree
|$ 10.00 (cash or credit card)