State Benefits

Veterans’ Assistance

We help veterans obtain the benefits offered by the Commonwealth. Contact us for assistance in applying for state benefits provided by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA).

Review the Benefits and Services for Veterans and Their Beneficiaries in Pennsylvania for eligibility information and a detailed explanation of available benefits. If you still have questions, contact us or the DMVA.

You can also learn more about Other Veterans Services Through the DMVA.

Emergency Assistance

Provides aid for food, clothing and shelter on a temporary basis (not to exceed three months). Based on household income. Must be an Honorably Discharged Veteran not in receipt of Public Assistance (Welfare).

The spouse of a recently deceased Veteran may be eligible due to the loss of any income, pension or Social Security the veteran may have been receiving, provided the claim is applied for within 180 days from the date of death of the veteran. Copies of Marriage License and Death Certificate must accompany the application.

Real Property Tax Exemption

Honorably Discharged Wartime Veterans having a 100% Service-connected Disability can apply to be exempt from payment of Real Property Taxes on their principal residence. Based on financial need.

Widows of Honorably Discharged Wartime Veterans who died of a Service-Connected disability (if the veteran would have been eligible for the exemption) may also be eligible for Real Property Tax Exemption on their principal residence. Based on financial need.

State Educational Grants and Financial Aid for Veterans

Toll Free: 800-692-7392

Children of Honorably Discharged Wartime Veterans who are totally disabled from a Service-Connected Disability, may receive an Educational Gratuity while attending any state or state-aided college or other secondary institution. Financial need must be shown and the student must be between the ages of 16 and 21.

Blind Veterans Pension

$150.00 per month for any Service-Connected Disease or Injury incurred while on active duty, which resulted in blindness or visual impairment of 3/60, 10/200 or less normal vision. Veterans must have given Pennsylvania as the place of residence at the time entering service.

Paralyzed Veterans Pension

$150.00 per month for any veteran Service-Connected Disease or Injury resulting in the loss or loss of the use of two or more extremities during wartime or as a result of hostilities during Combat-Related Action peace time. Must have given Pennsylvania as the place of residence at the time entering service and currently reside in Pennsylvania.

State Veterans Homes

Delaware Valley State Veterans Home
Philadelphia, PA

Holidaysburg Veterans Home
Holidaysburg, PA (Altoona Area)

Gino J Merli Northeastern State Veterans Home
Scranton/Wilkesbarre, PA

Pennsylvania State Veterans Home
Erie, PA

Southeastern Pennsylvania Veterans Center
Spring City, PA

Southwest Veterans Center
7060 Highland Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Phone: 412-665-6706

Birth and Death Records

Certified copies of Birth and Death Records are issued without cost to veterans and their dependents by the following:

Division of Vital Statistics
P.O. Box 1528
101 South Mercer Street #400
New Castle, PA 16101
Phone: 724-656-3100

Disabled Veterans Vehicle Registration

Totally Disabled, Service-Connected Veterans are not charged a fee for Titling and Registration of a motor vehicle. Only one vehicle shall be registered for a veteran. Based on Wartime Service. A $7.50 processing fee shall be charged for wartime veterans who lost a limb or eye or who became partially paralyzed as a result of such service. All other Non-Totally Disabled Veterans having Service-Connected Disabilities pay the regular $36.00 registration fee. The disabled veteran license plate is not the same as the handicapped plate.

Parking Placard

No fee is charged to Totally Disabled Veterans, having a Service-Connected Disability, for the disabled veteran parking placard. Vehicles having a properly displayed placard qualify for parking in areas designated to use for Handicapped Persons.

Veterans Preference in State Civil Service

Civil Service Commission positions.

Phone: 717-787-6039.